When I started working for myself I felt I had to be working every hour available to establish a “successful” business.
(I put successful in quote marks because what I thought it meant then is very different to what I’ve discovered it really means to me know).
I would literally drag my dog, Pepper, round the park doing the minimum needed, in the quickest time, so I could get back to working as soon as possible, constantly thinking “Walking the dog doesn’t get me anywhere in my business”.
Or “Everyone else is at work now so I should be too. And I should be doing so much more than them because I have my own business to run.”
But then I would have massive waves of guilt for feeling like I was neglecting her and this guilt stayed with me all through the day.
I would feel totally at odds with myself.
I would get stressed out about it.
And stress was totally counterproductive for having a productive day.
I got a dog because, well, I just love them and I enjoy the time spent with them getting out and about, seeing their joy and excitement and waggly tail and experiencing their unconditional love for you.
I didn’t get one to drag it around a park at lightning speed and then leave it to sit around and sleep all day while I ignored it to work.
I’d had enough of guilt.
I needed to reconnect with myself to address it.
I’ve come to appreciate that a big part of me is the time I spend caring and looking after Pepper. I love getting out with her, taking her down to the beach, she loves it and I love watching her and being a part of making her a happy dog.
I now do this every day and yes it takes up so much more time, and yes I am at the beach when others are working away, but I need to do this not only for Pepper but for myself!
But also I’ve discovered that in return when I’m making time for pure joy I’m also in a better mindset for work and creativity.
What’s the small joy of yours that you could do with right now?
P.S. Know somebody who needs to see this? Give ’em a helping hand by sharing this with them.
AND here’s just a little reminder of what I do…
I provide accountability coaching for female entrepreneurs and business owners who are just starting out, and those who are stuck in the starting gate, to create the business and life of their dreams.
I help them explore their vision, strategy, mindset, skillset and energy through practical coaching so they move past their blind spots, get out of their own way, keep their sanity and work on their business with greater ease.
So, whenever you’re ready, here are ways I can help you:
- Sign up for my mail list – you’ll get a dose of actionable wisdom and inspiration, from my heart and from my experience of business and life, straight to your inbox every Wednesday.
On signing up you will also get my hacks for squishing self-doubt as you go for your big dreams….. Fill in the form at the bottom!
- Like my Facebook page. I share some awesome content there.
- Join my FREE FB group – The Hug for Soulful Entrepreneurs – THE community to connect with others who are also on this exhilarating entrepreneurial journey to building meaningful and profitable businesses.
- Join my group coaching programme for purpose-driven new and wannabe entrepreneurs who are ready to grow their wings and fly the nest and save time and energy and build their business with ease – Click here for more information!
- Work with me 1:1 – check out GET IT DONE and 6-12 month coaching and my Intensive Days.