The greatest thing about creating your own business is the opportunity to design something that aligns with your values.
Whether you desire financial success, more free time to spend with your family or travel the world, a creative outlet or the opportunity to make a huge impact on the world and you get to choose.
But going it alone to create something that awesome for you comes with times of self-doubt too. They’re almost inevitable, especially when things have gone wrong or you can’t see the way forward or money is a tight or whatever it might be.
I know I have caught myself many a time over the past three years, thinking “life would just be easier if I went back to work for someone else!”. And scrolled one of the many jobs sites to see what’s out there.
But as I do… I’m totally uninspired by what I see and start to feel the sense of dread creep up as I think about going back. I soon snap out of it and decide this current struggle is a small part of my entrepreneurial journey. And I want this more than giving up!
Picture going back!
It’s very easy to forget what life was like before and so I encourage you to actually envisage going back to a typical 9-5.
For me I often think about how I have less time in the morning; How I’m sitting in traffic to then sit at a desk all day where someone dictates my work, hours, and holiday; How I don’t get to choose what I work on or who with. Only to rinse and repeat each and every day.
There are valid upsides for sure, the security, paid holiday, pension etc. But I want you to ask yourself is that enough?
Revisit your Big Why!
I know the easier life can be so tempting but I urge you to ask yourself if you would really be fulfilled?
Following this very question, go back to your reason for taking the leap and starting on your own, your big WHY…..
For me, it’s freedom!
1) I like to ease myself into the morning. I like a routine that suits this.
2) I get bored, especially when I have to do the same things over and over again. So for me, entrepreneurship is perfect: there is a lot of new stuff to learn, to explore, to experiment with.
3) I have full autonomy and don’t have to run anything by anyone else.
4) I can choose the people with who I want to work.
5) I can do what I love, what I’m passionate about and interested in.
6) I have met more interesting people within the past 3 years than I did in the past 15 years working as an employee.
What’s on your list? Write it down and refer to it regularly as your reminder.
The worst time to do anything is when you’re feeling low!
You don’t have access to your clearest thinking when you feel down. All you do is dwell on it and your minds become an echo chamber. You’ll think about stuff that you wouldn’t normally when you’re feeling calmer. Ride out the feeling until you feel a bit more at peace in general and then look at it with fresh eyes.
When it’s unclear create a plan!
Often uncertainty rises when the way forward isn’t clear. You’re not sure where to start or which direction to go in. This is when many start to question if they can do this. But there is a very simple solution to this one…..
Produce a plan!
Actually set aside time to figure out what’s needed and how you’re going to do it.
I find that when I brake my plan down into daily tasks, it was easier for me to pull myself out of the funk and keep pressing on because I know what I’m going to do next.
When creating this plan, find out what you NEED to know and nothing more. The Internet gives us too much information and one Google search can have you spinning with way too many options. Keep it simple and clear!
‘We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in.’ ~ Arianna Huffington
If you have a skills gap fill it!
When you’ve gone from one profession to running a whole business there is a steep learning curve! There are so many more things to understand and pull together – marketing, sales, customer services, legal etc.
If self-doubt is cropping up because there are areas of your business you’re not sure about dedicate some time and energy to finding solutions. It could mean you learn more about it yourself or maybe you want to reach out to someone who has expertise in this area and can help you.
Get out of your head!
Hire a coach. It’s support, accountability, and someone to go to when you start getting in your head.
“If you feel like giving up because you aren’t seeing results remember this….. the last thing to grow on a fruit tree is the fruit!” ~ Female Entrepreneurs Association.
Back your dreams! You’ve got this!
P.S. Know somebody who needs to see this? Give ’em a helping hand by sharing this with them.
AND here’s just a little reminder of what I do…
I work with female entrepreneurs and business owners who want to build their dream businesses!
I will help you get clear on what you need to do, how you’ll do it and keep you on track. You’ll give self-doubt the elbow, saying bye to overwhelm and hello to assertive action. Saving you time, effort and energy!
STRATEGY, ACTION & ACCOUNTABILITY = THE BUSINESS YOU LOVE WITH LESS HUSTLE! 💓
So, whenever you’re ready, here are ways I can help you:
- Sign up to become an insider and get awesome scrummy goodness straight to your mailbox. I will share with you big ideas, stories and actionable wisdom and other cool stuff to support your business and inspire you every week. Become an insider and you will also get my cheat sheet – Hacks For Squishing Self-Doubt – for those occasions when you need to get out of your own way and get on with business! Fill in the form at the bottom!
- Like my Facebook page. I share some awesome content there.
- Join my FREE FB group – The Hug for Soulful Entrepreneurs – The community to connect with others who are also on this exhilarating entrepreneurial journey!
- Work with me 1:1 – Business Start Coaching – Kick-Start Your Business and Entrepreneur Business Coaching – Reclaim Your Business. I also offer accountability coaching on a month by month basis.
I love this work!