“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” ~ Chinese proverb
One of the most common observations made of many successful business owners is how they will jump in before they’re ready!
And what’s interesting is that to us from the outside, it looks like they were! (The power of perception!)
But it’s very rare that anyone feels completely ‘ready’ to take on a new challenge, start a business or take that business to the next level.
And, what does ‘being ready’ even feel like anyway? Does anyone really know??
I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever actually felt ready of anything in my life – going to university, sitting exams, fitness challenges, changing careers, leaving full-time work, starting a business, and now being pregnant….. never!
But, one thing that I will hold my hands up to and happily take some kudos for is that I will jump in with giving little thought about whether I’m actually ‘ready’ or not. I’m just too impatient to wait around and find out what ready even is! (A good thing? A bad thing? Who knows but it works for me!)
I do get it though that the fear of failing or what others might say, or the need for everything to be perfect can make you want to bolt at the thought of jumping right in.
Not feeling ready is part of human nature. It’s a super common experience. The trick is to acknowledge it and move past it.
As they say (if you’re one of those that’s is inclined to look at things in black and white)…..those that succeed push through. Those that don’t, don’t!
“You get what you settle for.” ~ Thelma and Louise
So, here’s 11 pointers to start before you’re ready:
- Ask yourself, if you don’t start, what will you regret?
- Start telling others about what you’re going to do before you have done anything – build your confidence and resolve (there is an awesome chapter in The Awakened Women by Tererai Trent – Be your own storyteller: Creating new pathways!)
- Remember ACTION is the antidote to fear!
- Get yourself out there in some way, even if it’s the smallest gesture initially, take that leap!
- Then, take small steps following a simple plan – the momentum will kick in!
- Remember you’re a beginner – give yourself permission to suck and you will learn!
- There will always be something to improve upon. Get over that and work with what you’ve got.
- You can ALWAYS change your mind afterwards, but least you gave it a go.
- Imposter Syndrome will strike! One way you can get over this is to understand that you don’t need to be a guru in your field, you can be a contributor to the conversation (thank you Denise Duffield-Thomas for this awesome reframe!)
- Maybe controversial but, being prepared is highly overrated 😉 There is a fine line between preparation and procrastination.
- “Ready is too late. By the time we’re ready, it’s too late. The moment has passed!” ~ Steven Pressfield
Right now is the right time to get started.
I’m just giving you a (gentle little loving) kick up the butt if you know you’ve been hanging back waiting to be ready.
So what’s the one thing you would love to achieve, that you would be so proud of yourself for starting right now?
You’ve got this!
P.S. Know somebody who needs to see this? Give ’em a helping hand by sharing this with them.
AND here’s just a little reminder of what I do…
I work with female entrepreneurs and business owners who want to build their dream businesses!
I will help you get clear on what you need to do, how you’ll do it and keep you on track. You’ll give self-doubt the elbow, saying bye to overwhelm and hello to assertive action. Saving you time, effort and energy!
STRATEGY, ACTION & ACCOUNTABILITY = THE BUSINESS YOU LOVE WITH LESS HUSTLE! 💓
So, whenever you’re ready, here are ways I can help you:
- Sign up to become an insider and get awesome scrummy goodness straight to your mailbox. I will share with you big ideas, stories and actionable wisdom and other cool stuff to support your business and inspire you every week. Become an insider and you will also get my cheat sheet – Hacks For Squishing Self-Doubt – for those occasions when you need to get out of your own way and get on with business! Fill in the form at the bottom!
- Like my Facebook page. I share some awesome content there.
- Join my FREE FB group – The Hug for Soulful Entrepreneurs – The community to connect with others who are also on this exhilarating entrepreneurial journey!
- Work with me 1:1 – Business Start Coaching – Kick-Start Your Business and Entrepreneur Business Coaching – Thrive Your Business. I also offer accountability coaching on a month by month basis.
I love this work!